The Best Under Cabinet LED Lighting, Reviews and Picks
What's in this article...
- The Best Under Cabinet LED Lighting, Reviews and Picks
- Why go LED for your under counter kitchen lights?
- Connexx contractor grade LED under cabinet lighting kit:
- Rite Lite Wireless 12 LED Track Light
- Super Bright LED Under Cabinet / Cove, Full kit
- Fulcrum 30015-301 9 LED Tap Light
- Small, unobtrusive, lasts for up to 100,000 hours of use, tap to turn on and off.
- Different Kinds of Under Cabinet LED Lights:
If you use your kitchen as much as I do, you know that whenever you’re cooking, the more light you have the better. Kitchens are often dark places, with small lights high overhead.
A good solution to this problem is to use LED under cabinet lighting. Reviews and opinions are important when choosing an under counter LED lighting system, because they are not all created equal!
LED lighting systems are excellent choices for the modern kitchen because they are superior to conventional fixtures in almost every way. They will save you money with their extremely low power requirements, and they almost never need to be replaced. There are many other great advantages which we’ll get into a little later on, but suffice it to say, the best LED under cabinet lighting systems will drastically improve your kitchen.
This article is a review of LED under cabinet lighting kits, and it’s intended to help you make a buying decision. There are a ton of products vying for your attention, and it’s important to avoid a dud. We will talk about the advantages of LED light kits for your kitchen, and also touch on what you might run into during installation.
And, of course, we’ll look at five of my favorite LED under counter lighting kits, reviewing each one.
Why go LED for your under counter kitchen lights?
So why exactly do LED under cabinet lighting kits tend to review so well? There are a number of significant advantages that these guys have over incandescent and fluorescent lighting. I will list a few of the more important ones here. If you prefer to get to the reviews, feel free to skip ahead.
- Long Life: Under cabinet lights using LEDs are excellent choices because they almost never burn out. A typical LED bulb has a really long life span. Some of the higher quality ones can last over 50,000 hours (that’s over 20 years of typical use, for your information)! The long life of these things really makes them economical options for any home.
- They Use Very Little Electricity: The best LED under cabinet lights use a fraction of the electricity that conventional fixtures do. Typical power requirements vary between 9 and 25 watts, compared to 120+ watts for regular light bulbs with the same amount of light. That’s why they are used in practically all lamps, even a drafting lamp. Over the long term this will help you save thousands in your electricity bills, and it’s more environmentally friendly to boot.
- Very Durable: LED lights are strong, tough and light. Did you know many cell phones use LED lights to power the screens? That’s because they last for years without any problems. They don’t create much heat, and they can take a lot more punishment than an incandescent, which will typically burn out after a little shake. The upshot of this is that your LED under cabinet lights will probably function for an extremely long time.
- Excellent Light Quality: For under cabinet lighting, LEDs are the best for creating a good atmosphere. That’s because their light spectrum is very easy to manipulate. You can get LED bulbs producing both warm and cold light in a wide spectrum. You can even get LED lights that help plants grow, and LED lighting kits that aid in seasonal allergenic depression (SAD) by providing vitamin D.
Energizer Household LED under cabinet strip light:
Versatile, modular, one of the best under cabinet LED kitchen kits. I really like the Energizer Household LED lighting system, mostly because it’s a powerful, energy efficient, and very versatile solution no matter how much space you need to light.
It’s ideal as a one-off product, because it install easily underneath any counter or cabinet using just two screws and two wire clips. It has a simple on / off switch, and it contains 6 separate LED lights, so the light is powerful, instant and consistent.
The feature I like most about these lights? They string together! You can get multiple lights and they will attach to one another, so you can set up a system that can accommodate almost any sized space. The light is really high quality, and the power requirements, like all of the lights reviewed here, are extremely low.
Small, compact, powerful and bright, the Energizer Household LED under cabinet lighting strip can string together to fit any requirements.
Connexx contractor grade LED under cabinet lighting kit:
A professional-quality LED light kit for placing beneath counters and more. The LED Under Cabinet Light Contractor Kit by Connexx is a wonderful choice, especially if you plan to add flexible, warm lighting to an entire kitchen or other room.
The kit includes 24 led light strips, which is more than enough for almost any project. The kit is designed for easy installation, so you don’t have to worry about splicing wires or drilling holes. The light strips are super light, so they mount with an adhesive tape. This kit comes with wire clips, 30 feet of extra wire, the 24 light strips, the power source and an on / off switch.
Beyond that, the light this kit provides is phenomenal. Check out the user uploaded photos! It’s a warm, inviting spectrum that’s easy on the eyes and provides good working light.
Excellent light quality, easy installation, 24 light strips to provide ample lighting to even large spaces.
Rite Lite Wireless 12 LED Track Light
A simple, long lasting LED light system for under cabinets. The Rite Lite LED Track Light is a low cost, low maintenance under counter LED light system that reviews really well, and is perfect in many situations. This one is a bit different from the ‘strip’ style systems seen elsewhere. The track light has four ‘bulbs’ that each have 3 small light emitting diodes on them.
These bulbs can be moved and redirected at any time (they are fairly cool, even when on). They are turned on with an easy, one touch system, and they are battery operated, meaning you don’t have to fiddle with any wires.
Practically speaking, these under cabinet LED track lights are useful for the kitchen in spaces that are a bit darker, or in a closet or bathroom too. They mount easily and come with hardware for that purpose.
Rite Lite Wireless LED track light, perfect for small spaces requiring wireless lighting. Battery powered, lasts for up to 100,000 hours.
Super Bright LED Under Cabinet / Cove, Full kit
A great LED under cabinet or cove lighting system. This is another full blown LED under counter lighting kit that reviews really well. It’s a fantastic choice for a full kitchen lighting update, or any other room for that matter. It come with 10 LED panels that mount easily to the bottom of cabinets, counters and cove base, providing either warm or cool light (depending on the kit you choose, they offer both spectrums!).
This kit comes with 2 power supplies, so you can set it in different spots, along with a variety of connection cables for a custom setup. It also has 2 remote controls to easily turn it on and off, and the lights are almost invisible when mounted. The power draw? Only 2 watts for this system! Absolutely perfect for a whole kitchen, dining space, or any other project.
2 watts of power used, low profile lighting panels hide easily under counters, warm or cool light, extremely long life span.
Fulcrum 30015-301 9 LED Tap Light
A low cost, easy to install LED under counter light. The Fulcrum 9 LED Tap Light is a super low cost style of lighting. It install easily on the bottom of counters and cabinets, and you turn it on by simply tapping the bottom. These guys are battery powered, so there’s no wiring to deal with. On top of that, they have an incredibly long life, up to 100,000 hours before they burn out (that’s 40 years!).
They are installed by using the included self-adhesive tape, and they provide a surprising amount of light for such a small package. If you have a large space to light this isn’t the best option, but for a small space or countertop, it’s definitely one to check out.
Small, unobtrusive, lasts for up to 100,000 hours of use, tap to turn on and off.
Different Kinds of Under Cabinet LED Lights:
There are several different varieties of under cabinet LED lighting kits available today. Picking the best kind depends entirely on your needs, but here are a few of the options you can pick from.
Many lighting kits are dimmable. In fact, all LED lights are theoretically capable of dimming, it’s just that not all control systems can handle that function. If you want your below cabinet system to use dimmable LED lights, be sure to search for that specifically and make sure the brand incorporates that feature.
Some lighting kits are battery powered. This can be a boon because you don’t have to worry about running electrical wires under your cabinets. The downside, of course, is that you’ll need to periodically replace these batteries. Fortunately, since the power draw is low, you won’t have to change them very often, and rechargeable batteries are a good option.
LED lights themselves are the size of a grain of rice, approximately. That gives manufacturers a lot of flexibility in production. You can find under counter LED lighting kits that utilize standard fixtures, light ‘bulbs’ that contain many small light emitting diodes, and light strips with lots of little bulbs, to name a few. Before you make a purchase, analyze your space and figure out what you have to work with, and pick a fixture that’ll work for you.
Be cautious when purchasing from unknown brands, and make sure to read up the personal customer reviews before committing to a product. Also, be cognizant of the returns policy.